Sunday 27 July 2008

Transistion...


I wasn't really sure what to write about for this weeks post. Mostly because I'm right at the end of what took over my life for 50 weeks and also at the beginning of training for The Vitruvian. Not wanting to get all philosophical but it occurs to me that life like triathlon has it's own transitions and they all play an incredibly important part in how you deal with the section that is to follow.


Transitions in triathlon are there because they sever you from one section and connect you to a new section and how you deal with that transition is reflected in what you do in the time it takes you to get from 'A' to 'B' and how long it takes you to do it. Some people like to take their time, using the space to allow them to focus more clearly on the task ahead. Some people rush them, blindly throwing themselves into that next section. And then there are those who have a slick, speedy approach using the part they left behind to transfer them with ease onto the new section.

What does this all mean? What on earth am I babbling on about (maybe it's a touch of sunstroke, the sun has shone relentlessly in Leeds for two whole days you know!)

A girl in the gym asked me whether I suffered from post race blues and if I was feeling them post Germany. They're a very common thing to have when you spend such a lot of weeks training for your one goal, then when it's over you can be left feeling a little lost and unsure what to do next. I'm pleased to say that I haven't had any post race blues at all. I'm pleased because it means I got it right. It means I finished the task in hand and the second I crossed the line it was all over. Of course I had time to reflect (and still do) and I think about where I can improve, what went right, what went wrong etc but ultimately once it was done it was time to move on.. well when I eventually got out of the medical tent anyway!!!

So the best transitions in triathlon are what work for you. Personally I like the slick, speedy approach if possible (there's definitely room for improvement there though) and that's why I think transitions are applicable to life. I feel like I'm in a period of transition right now and I'm really enjoying it. Tom & I made lots of plans and 'to do' lists on our 19hr car journey home from Germany and because we're slowly ticking off the things we marked as important I feel like this transition is a great one. I'm enjoying training for something new and can't wait to see what the rest of the year will bring. We just have to make sure we're always moving forward. I can feel the winds of change knocking on our door and the possibilities and opportunities out there are endless. Time for us to see if we can grasp the ones we want and squeeze every ounce of fun, love, laughter, swimming, cycling, running, breathing etc in to the minutes that are tick tocking by. I'm looking forward and liking what I see...

The future's bright, the future's in front of you. Just keep moving forward.

Helen. x

No comments: