Sunday 25 November 2007

We're on the road to Kona...


Finally, here it is… and like a child at Christmas I’m excited to embark on my road to Hawaii - it all starts tomorrow. I’ve got a lot to do and I’ve got 32 weeks in which to do it. On Sunday 6th July 2008 I want to be in the shape of my life and I’m sure that the past two months of rest and recovery will stand me in good stead.

I didn’t for-see my injury lasting so long and I certainly didn’t think I would have had as much time off as I have but it’s allowed me not only to recover and rest from an incredibly hard but rewarding 2007 but also to start my own photography business (check out my website www.helenturton.co.uk) and also to sort the house out. Both Tom and I are very similar when it comes to having our minds clear and decorating the house (in true Williams style i.e. all at once and full steam ahead -his mum and Ray can vouch for that) will allow us to become focused and free.

It’s a selfish, sometimes lonely but incredible journey and I’m done with growing my bottom to match the size of the house, so it’s time to put away the chocolate and treat my body like an expensive car, drive it hard and feed it the best.

Tom & I are training for the same Ironman so we’re going to be in sync with each other and we’ll be peaking for the same races and resting at the same times which is good. I know that this year when Tom was tapering for IM Switzerland that although I didn’t struggle to go out and do my sessions I had to stay focussed so as not to slack off. Even harder when Tom & Martin both finished and were eating chocolate and cake and I had a couple of weeks left before I could do the same. Our focus’ for IM Germany however are incredibly different. I need to get some serious work in on my bike this Winter and Tom plans to work on his running. The plan is to have a 12 week base and then go into a 20 week heavier programme. I know that because of my tendonitis that my running is going to need a lot of work. It’s going to be a slow process but I’m kind of looking forward to starting from scratch. I can run for an hour (albeit like a snail now that my running fitness has disappeared) and will go out for 75mins at the end of the week. I also ran two days consecutively for the first time this week, 30mins on Friday and 40mins on Saturday, all good ☺
As long as I do my hot water stretches before hand I’m fine. I’m still living at the physio’s and am there religiously every week, I can’t wait for the day when there is no longer a need to be staring and prodding at my right ankle anymore! I had an ultrasound scan on Friday which thankfully showed very little other than a thickening of the tendon, no need for a cortisone injection which is great news, it MUST be on the mend!!!

I can’t wait for that feeling when you know you’re fit and you’re in good shape. I’m back to the weight I was before I started to train for Austria this year but I’ll hopefully be back down to my race weight by about March, it has to be a slow process or I won’t keep my strength so it’s time to bring back the dreaded scales to keep a check on my weight loss to make sure I’m not losing it too quickly or in fact that I lose too much. Tom & I have indulged in the excessive side of our personality while we’ve been resting but now it’s time to rein it in.

So people, here we go, we’re on the road to Kona and tomorrow is going to kick off with a swim in the am and a light session in the evening, back to training here I come. I hope you enjoy my journey as much as me …………….

"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination."
Tommy Lasorda

H. x

No comments: