Saturday 23 February 2008

Frankie says...'RELAX'...


After a hard 12 weeks of base training I was really ready for recovery week. I'm a funny thing though. The nearer the recovery week loomed the more I was looking forward to it, then the first day into it and I wasn't sure I wanted to have an easy week! But this is where people fall down and like the picture says... Recovery comes first! Recovery is just as important as the training, it's when the training effect takes place. Stressing the body and then allowing it to re-build is what makes a strong athlete. Ploughing on would make me peak too soon and could cause me to suffer from over training (something I've done before when I was just running and didn't enjoy at all.)

So, what have I been doing all week with all of this spare time?! Training wise I had a great one-to-one swim analysis session on Monday eve where I picked up a few pointers that I'm going to work on from this Monday onwards so that's given me a renewed swim focus and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress again. I put my foot to a real test in my 18 mile run on Thursday and it passed with flying colours so I'm made up about that. I certainly wouldn't say it's gone completely but it's definitely not causing issues and my check up visit to podiatrist Andrew Horwood was very positive as I don't need to go back for two months, and only then if I have any pain. Yesterday Tom & I rode to Ilkley, popped into Betty's Tea Room and scoffed a big Fat Rascal scone then cycled home.

This week and weekend has been about doing all of the things that we just can't fit in while we're in full training mode. Don't get me wrong, I love training and I don't feel like I miss out on anything at all when I'm training hard, but it's been fantastic to have the energy and the time to go to the cinema and not worry about having to get to bed early. On Friday evening we went out for dinner, went to the cinema (had our treat- a huge three scoop pot of ice-cream...deeeeeelicious) then came home and didn't worry about getting to bed late as we didn't have to get up at silly o'clock on Saturday morning. Today I raced in the last cross country race for Leeds Bradford Tri and then we drove to Cray in the Dales to scoff Sunday lunch. For once we were in the pub and not cycling past it wishing we were in it!!!

I've also had more time to spend with my good mate Lizzie Lou Lou (runner Liz Yelling) who came to stay on Tuesday night. We had a really nice time catching up. Liz was tapering for the English National Cross Country Championships and I wasn't training hard so we got to spend some quality time together. I reckon the porridge I made for her must have helped her win by a whopping 45 seconds yesterday , well done Liz, awesome performance ;)

Time to get my bum out of the recovery groove already... the week has just flown by. Time to re-focus and tomorrow is Day One of 19 solid weeks. I'm feeling good, I'm eager to get on the real road to Kona and it's all about to take off, wuhoo!!!

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet. James Oppenheim

H. x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had to mention the fat rascal didn't you. Enjoy that long and winding road to the big island.

Ozzer